The Capranica

Comments on theology and life

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hemet, California, United States

Co-Pastor of First Baptist Church of San Jacinto, California

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Catching Up

I've been away from The Capranica for a few days - trying to catch up on other issues around church and home. About the same time the Pyromanic's computer went down, mine did too. It has been too painful to speak about until now. Needless to say, I am not an HP fan any longer. I tend to be overly protective of my laptops [no feminized coffee, coke, etc., carelessly spilled on the precious package] and yet I am on my third one in three years. For my own sanity and health, I will say no more on this issue. Speaking of the PyroGuy - he tends to think that my mugshot is far too classy [he used the term staid] to allow me to be among the pups at Fide-O [another place where The Capranica posts blog-stuff]. If I'm too staid, how would you describe this. Interesting articles I did not get to (but some I hope to blog about soon): Tom Ascol at The Founders' Blog illustrates the fallacy of numbers and church health by examining a well-known SBC megachurch's ACP numbers. Great evidence of "numbers aint everything." The Jollyblogger records his pilgrimage from pre to a millennialism. I hope to say a bit more about this at another time. He also provides an interesting evaluation of why he thinks Satan is bound today. This one's in my cross hairs also. Ligon Duncan is happy that C.J. Mahaney preached at John MacArthur's church this past Sunday. It gives more evidence of how people can come Together for the Gospel. Challies does a preview of Mark Dever and Paul Alexander's new book, The Deliberate Church. I too am eagerly anticipating this book. In other exciting news, remember my mention of The Capranica Villa? Progress on it makes snails look like jack rabbits. We are trying to have the old trailer moved off the land so we can begin construction on the new home. The guy to move the mobile called saying he son was just tragically killed in an auto accident. As we pray for him, we have no idea when we will be able to continue work. The saga continues. Pics and more at the end of the week. An old High School friend has found me [see the comments from my post on Presbyterians and Baptists]. He's Presbyterian in his denominational flavor and he has picked up the cafeteria theological discussions where we left them some seventeen years ago. Good to hear from you Kyle. With the new computer [it hurts to speak of it] I've also been trying new gadgets. I've trying out the Firefox browser [some difficulties with Blogger]. It sure zips around pages more quickly than IE and I'm growing to love the tabbed browsing and bookmark toolbar. I've also been toying with the new Google desktop search. These are old hat to many, but make for some new tricks for the new computer to play with before it too crashes in about six to twelve months.

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris Meirose said...

Once you are accustomed to FireFox, you'll never go back to IE again. I can't remember having problems with Blogger and FireFox, but if you post your issue(s) some of us might be able to give you pointers.

8/23/2005 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Bret Capranica said...

I am a virtual convert to Firefox. I do have some minor inconeniences with Blogger, though. A number of the sites that appear normal in IE appear somewhat skewed in Firefox. For example, Fide-O's right column is spread out - elongated and the footer appears in the right column. No so on IE. On my own blog, my Feedburner icons on the left column run into the text of the blog posts. No so with IE. I removed them because of the annoyance. I am totally brainless when it comes to toying with the HTML stuff, so I expect all of that is an issue on my side. Otherwise, I love the speed, the bookmark bar and tabbed browsing in Firefox.

8/23/2005 08:12:00 PM  
Blogger Kyle Walker said...

I loved Firefox for awhile then had trouble with it with some websites. I go back and forth now. Not an IE fan though. Did we have a browser called Netscape or was that a nightmare I had?

8/24/2005 02:41:00 AM  
Blogger Kyle Walker said...

Thanks Bret for the welcome. Your blog has become a "virtual airport" to finding others from our past. The cafeteria is coming to life again. You know, they tore down our old high school and built a brand new one. The nerve!

I'm swamped these days so I may disappear for a week or two. Never fear, as your rather intimidating California governor has said, "I'll be back"

8/24/2005 02:45:00 AM  
Blogger Scott Hill said...

Bret you computer problems are a result of PEBKAC. If you fix this issue you should be able to get a computer that will last for a while. I definitely don't think HP is the problem. Phil and I both have HP laptops that are 5 years old and older that run like champs.

8/25/2005 02:51:00 PM  
Blogger Bret Capranica said...

Scott - I dare not ask. No, Phil used to run HP, so you and he had the inside scoop. You probably have Gateways and glued HP logos on the top.

8/25/2005 03:09:00 PM  
Blogger Jason Robertson said...

I suggest drywall screws. Just jam one in the side, give it two turns, and that usually works for me for about another 48 hours. Or just by a cheap dell and figure on getting another one in about 18 months!

8/25/2005 10:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home